Pimco has appointed Michael Thompson, executive vice president, as head of Asia ex-Japan.
Thompson, who currently heads Pimco's Singapore office and the Asia ex-Japan wealth management team, will assume his new responsibilities immediately and relocate to Hong Kong in the coming months.
He will report to Kimberley Stafford, managing director and head of Asia-Pacific.
With 23 years of experience, Thompson joined Pimco’s London office in 2006, where he served as head of European third-party distribution.
He relocated to Singapore in 2010 to assume leadership of the Asia ex-Japan wealth management business, and became head of the Singapore office in 2014.
Thompson’s oversight of the Asia ex-Japan wealth management business included the buildout of Pimco’s private and retail bank relationships which led to broader and deeper coverage in this important space.
Thompson will lead the firm's Asia ex-Japan client facing businesses, with the following direct reports:
- Jung Park, executive vice president and head of Korea;
- Abhi Shroff, executive vice president and head of South Asia;
- Todd Staley, senior vice president and head of Hong Kong Institutional and Taiwan;
- Scott Steele, executive vice president and head of Hong Kong and Singapore global wealth management;
- Haining Yin, executive vice president and head of China.
Steele will relocate to Singapore and will also assume Thompson’s previous role as head of the Singapore office.